To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Saturday, December 09, 2006 10:01 AM
Subject: [LegacyUG] signatures & names

Hello everyone,

I have a few questions and would love to hear your suggestions:

1. When researching various records - marriage certificates, court papers, etc. - I would like to capture the fact that the person has signed the document (as an indicator for literacy). Does anyone of you capture this information and how do you think it's best done.

I guess I should create an event but I'm not sure how to name it or how word it: "[HeShe] signed the document"... or "the document is signed by [Name]".

2. Also how is best to capture veriations of the name - for example, the person is recorded on the document as THIJS, but he has signed THYS (presuming he's literate). So far, I'm just added both as AKAs with the details of where the version appears and by whom. In that case, who do you think know better - the official (who often seem to make a complete hash of even simple name) or the person? I can relate to the last one, because my first name is spelled HRISTINA, without C in front, and very often people just don't listen to me.... ;)

3. What do you consider the official name esp. in 17th and 18th century? I'm researching Belgium and of course in a short period of 30 years, I can have the same person with a Latin name (Birth certificate; say "Petrus" or "Joannes"), then French (for the Marriage, "Pierre" or "Jean") and then Dutch (for the death certificate, "Pieter" or "Jan")... All those are technically official because they were recorded by the authorities.

Any thoughts?
thanks!
nina

---
Virus Database (VPS): 0655-1, 08/12/2006
Tested on: 09/12/2006 11:11:02

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***