From: ronald ferguson <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: legacyusergroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Sent: Saturday, 9 December, 2006 11:45:13 AM
Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] signatures & names

Some interesting questions here Nina - my comments are bewlow;

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*Use Legacy Search - see My Blogs*
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/

________________________________
> Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 10:01:15 +0000
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: [LegacyUG] signatures & names
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>
> Hello everyone,
> I have a few questions and would love to hear your suggestions:
> 1. When researching various records - marriage certificates, court papers,
> etc. - I would like to capture the fact that the person has signed the
> document (as an indicator for literacy). Does anyone of you capture this
> information and how do you think it's best done.
> I guess I should create an event but I'm not sure how to name it or how word
> it: "[HeShe] signed the document"... or "the document is signed by [Name]".

I normally don't record whether literate or otherwise. If I did I would
probably just put some thing in the notes and use the document which
illustrated this as a source. eg Signed own Wedding Certificate: Source Wedding
Certificate (using the way I normally source them)

It is an idea to use an Event. In which case I would probably have a general
one called, say,  "Literacy"  and enter "Literate" or "Illiterate" in the
description box. Again using the document from which the conclusion was drawn
as a source.

> 2. Also how is best to capture veriations of the name - for example, the
> person is recorded on the document as THIJS, but he has signed THYS
> (presuming he's literate). So far, I'm just added both as AKAs with the
> details of where the version appears and by whom. In that case, who do you
> think know better - the official (who often seem to make a complete hash of
> even simple name) or the person? I can relate to the last one, because my
> first name is spelled HRISTINA, without C in front, and very often people
> just don't listen to me.... ;)

In this case I always take the spelling used by the subject as being correct
and add the variations in the AKAs
> 3. What do you consider the official name esp. in 17th and 18th century? I'm
> researching Belgium and of course in a short period of 30 years, I can have
> the same person with a Latin name (Birth certificate; say "Petrus" or
> "Joannes"), then French (for the Marriage, "Pierre" or "Jean") and then Dutch
> (for the death certificate, "Pieter" or "Jan")... All those are technically
> official because they were recorded by the authorities.

As you say, all are official and if there is no indication as to what the
person called him/herself then there is nothing to go on. In the case you
illustrate I would tend to use the one relevant to the place of birth with the
others as AKAs.

> Any thoughts?
> thanks!
> nina
> ________________________________
> To help you stay safe and secure online, we've developed the all new Yahoo!
> Security
> Centre<http://us.rd.yahoo.com/mail/uk/taglines/default/security_centre/*http://uk.security.yahoo.com/>.
> *** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
> http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
> ***
> Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at:
> To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at:
> For online technical support, please visit
> http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***

Copy addresses and emails from any email account to Yahoo! Mail - quick, easy
and free. http://uk.docs.yahoo.com/trueswitch2.html