-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Heather
Stovold
Sent: Tuesday, December 19, 2006 11:15 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] How do you personally put in information that you think
is incorrect....

My father and I have been working on one of our Ancestors for 40 years now
(he is our brick wall.)

I recently discovered that one of the sources we had used for some
information probably does not pertain to this ancestor after all. My father
had "found" our ancestor living in a Mental Assylum in the Canadian 1881
Census, under the name of McCasline  (our name is McCaslin...).  From that
information and further research, we had an exact death date and place (from
the assylum), a calculated birthdate (a few years off our other calculated
birthdate), and some other information.  The rest of the family had not been
found on the census.

I have since discovered that ancestor AND most of the Family living in the
same county as they did in 1871 - but under McCastin  (the t didn't match
the l in Soundex, but of course looks very similar!)  The information
matches the information from the other census's.

So either the McCasline was the wrong person - or he was sometimes at the
assylum, and sometimes at home - and got counted twice.  (so obviously I
need to do more research....)

So now the question.
I do have what I've found commented in the notes.
I don't want to just remove the information from the files....   but I don't
want to get confused either, thinking I have the definate information when
it is now put under a great amount of doubt.    And even if I do disprove
the information, I don't want to just remove it either, as others might make
the same mistake?

So - how do you put disproved or doubtful information (that others might
find and think is right) into Legacy in such a way that it is totally clear
it is disproved or doubtful?

I do realize there isn't 1 right way - but I'd like to hear what people
would suggest!

Thanks!

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***