Cathy,

Thanks again for your helpful advice - as always. How come you have
such an encyclopaedic knowledge?

However, to clarify the numbers. As mentioned elsewhere they are
Ahentafel numbers; this means that the direct paternal line is
numbered with the individual as 1, then 2-4-8-16-32-64 - i.e.2^n,
where n is the number of generations. All the other grandparents at
that generation are numbered from 'left to right' from 65-127, and the
next generation starts at 128.

So there wasn't a glitch. 2^28=268,435,456 would be the 28th
Grandfather. That leaves an extra 16,847,938 taking me rightwards
across an ancestral fan in the example I used; all of which just shows
how if one could trace ALL one's ancestors, there has to be
CONSIDERABLE overlap, as this VASTLY exceeds the population at the
time (the Norman Conquest).

I hadn't appreciated just how enormous the numbers become.

Alastair

*** Give the gift of Legacy for the holidays! Order online at
http://legacyfamilytree.com/Redirect/Store-Legacy.asp or call 1-800-753-3453.
***