I teach the use of categorizing before assigning File IDs.

Twelve categories work for me.  Less I feel is too disorganized.  More
becomes too unwieldy.  This has worked for 25 years.  I've been stumped
a few times--should it go here or there.  It happens.  It becomes a
judgment call.  And then there's the "other" category.  :)

Here's the list I follow:
B - Buildings/Landmarks/Monuments
C - Census Records
D - Documents
G - Directories
H - Heirlooms
K - Personal Knowledge
L - Correspondence
N - Newspaper
O - Other
P - Photograph
R - Recordings
X - Books/Periodicals

Each category has a short description to aid in determining the kinds of
records/items to be assigned.

Items are filed as they are discovered.  The first photograph I picked
up was assigned P0001, the first document was assigned D0001, and so on.

Each category receives its own designated/labeled filing area.  Two
4-drawer filing cabinets and a 5-shelf book rack contain most.  Some,
such as Heirlooms, are handled differently.  The File contains a photo
of the heirloom and where it is physically located.

I would place the items referred to in the email below in the D -
Documents category.  They could also fit into a category titled V -
Vital.  I prefer "Document" because I define Document in a broader
sense.  Joe Blow would become D0001, Amelia Carter D0002, Amelia Blow
D0003, Amelia and Joe Blow D0004.

The File ID assigned each item is entered in the appropriate Legacy File
ID location for each person mentioned in the record.  This is where a
tool such as the Legacy Picture Center is most handy.

Gary
Near St Louis MO USA