I think there is an article about this on the Legacy website from a while
back....  however, since you asked so nicely...  :)

I have one file.... basically, my file would be the ancestors and relatives
of my children.  My son is the person from which I do the set
relationships and the colour coding.  This allows me to print up charts for
my kids and have it have everyone.   Another factor is that people will
often find out that they are related in more ways than one...  Ie - 2nd
cousins might have married (or even closer relationships) - which can cause
the problem of having to have the information in more than one file if you
kept your different lines seperate.

That said - I do have more than one file...  I have my main file, which only
has information that I am quite certain of.   Then I have "research"
files....  when my mom or dad sends me a gedcom I make them into their own
Legacy files.  Same for anything I might have downloaded from the
internet.   I use these as sources of clues - and as possible or probable
information.... I check the information, and move them over when I get some
sources.  By the way, Legacy lets you have more than one file open, and you
can drag and drop people or families between the files.

That's how I do it - I'm sure other people will have other advice!

Heather Stovold
researching Stovold, McCaslin, Craven, Smart, Ward