Jennifer,

Firstly, in no way are you "causing trouble" this is exactly the sort of
question that LUG is about. (Not to mention that I enjoy convoluted problems!)

You are quite correct regarding the example which you give below but I do have
difficulty in imagining a situation whereby I would wish to change the details
of, say, a father's second marriage to a woman who is not the mother of the
person whom I have looked up.

There is one exception to this. I am quite sure that the wife I have for one of
my grandfathers is a second marriiage and his children are from the first
marriage. From the IGI I am also pretty sure of the first name of the woman he
first married. If I found the marriage I agree I would not be able to create
this from the IGI page and I would have to go to one of the main views. Where
two marriages already exist it is, of course, possible to change partners and
then edit each from the IGI page.

I hope this is clear.

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*Use Legacy Search - see My Blogs*
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/