In the IGI and its various portions there is a lot of
duplication of effort (planned). The AFN is the LDS
solution to clean it up. They assigned each number to
one or more than one version of the same person. It
was/is suppose to be a unique number assigned to a
person with exactly one number. It is better but still
has duplication. The task is just TOO big. Even then
biggest computer is overwhelmed. Some of it also ties
in to other (church) needs. Originally we were to be
able to search on the AFN but if it is available
anywhere, it might be Salt Lak City only.
Rich