[I sent this reply to a similar question in June 2006, sorry for the repeat.]

I actually do something a little differently then using the Alt-dates.
In the Notes section of the Birth field, for example, I put in a
little note in [[privacy]] brackets, so that I will know what all the
variations are, but will only print out one in a report, as that is
all my relatives would care to see.

Here is one example:
[[Various ages have been given as follows:
1856 28 Jan - Marriage - age 40 [b. 1815]
1870 28 Jul - Census - age 57 [b. 1812]
1880 5 Jun - Census - age 75 [b. 1805]
1885 6 Feb - Death - age 73 [b. 1811] ]]

I then chose to put "Abt 1811" in the birth date field.

Sometimes I find I use the month listed in the 1900 census, and a year
averaged out from all the various ages listed in the censuses or other
sources. Having the note makes me aware of how I determined the date.
I might only provide one or two sources, too.

Hope this idea is useful to someone
Susan Daily

p.s. Here is another example where I show my reasoning in the birth
notes. I use the date 9 Aug 1835 for the birthdate:
"[[ 22 Aug 1835 - Baptism record for same parents
22 May 1859 - Marriage record says he was age 22, b.c. 1836
Sep 1860 - Census says he was 23, b.c. 1837
Oct 1867 - John provides birth date on naturalization papers of 24 Jun 1838
Aug 1870 - Census says he was age 34 on 1 Jun 1870, b.c. 1835
Jun 1880 - Census says he was age 44 on 1 Jun 1880, b.c. 1835
May 1891 - Poll book lists age as 54, b.c. 1836
May 1892 - Poll book lists age as 55, b.c. 1836
May 1893 - Poll book lists age as 56, b.c. 1836
May 1896 - Poll book lists age as 59, b.c. 1836
May 1900 - Poll book lists age as 63, b.c. 1836
Jun 1900 - census says he was age 61, born August 1838
May 1910 - census says he is age 73, b.c. 1836
Apr 1915 - Poll book lists age as 79, b.c. 1835
22 Oct 1916 - Death certificate gives age (79y 2m 13d) indicating
birth date was 9 Aug 1837

In the list of all the dates that John used for his birth, twice it
came up August, and once it was June. In two censuses, the year
matches 1835. In the beginning, I think he wanted to appear younger
when he got married; for the Naturalization papers, was it common to
"throw off" the government by giving a wong date?]]"