Jim,

I now understand your original question and yes, i can also see what you intend doing. It will as you say mean adding all the descendants to each of the four trees to have a complete tree for each of your grandparents, including, of course, adding to each yourself and your parents.

So in a nut shell that would work. However, to come to your question as to whether four will be enough I cannot really answer, the reason being that I cannot understand why you would wish to arrange your files in this manner in the first place.

If all the files were together then Legacy's tagging capability allows one to tag each of the four lines separately anyhow, so it is possible to print separate reports, web pages etc. without physically separating each of the trees. Hence my problem!

Ron Ferguson



_____________________________________________________________________

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*Use Legacy Search - see My Blogs*
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/
______________________________________________________________________





From: James Neely <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Reply-To: [email protected]
To: Legacy List <[email protected]>
Subject: [LegacyUG] RE: [Legacy UG] Moving Family List
Date: Tue, 30 Jan 2007 14:11:10 -0600

Ron and Jan
Thanks for your responses. As a very new dabbler in genealogy and even newer w/ Legacy, I have decided to do it an easier way. My data base currently contains 166 names (very puny, I know). I have it in a single file named JAMES. I am wanting to start different files as I add more entries. I assumed it would be adequate to just make 4, using my grandparents' names. To do this, I just saved the entire list (from JAMES) into these 4 (A, B, C, D), and deleted unwanted names. (Not very smart, but at my level I could do it.) At some point I will need to attack my original question, but at present I have other matters to consider. If you don't mind, I would like to get some thoughts from you, and/or anyone else who would care to comment: - As I don't really expect to make this a life's work, are 4 files enough? - I used the respective GP in each file as the starting point, and then chased the path up that line. Going in the other direction I plan to include all descendants, which would be duplicative for all files. I envisioned that as necessary so that there would be a true accounting of descendants. Does that make sense? As you can see, I am really stepping in over my head, but I think I can "dog-paddle" through it. However, I would prefer to not make any more mistakes than I have to. Thanking all who care to comment in advance.
Jim Neely, Tullahoma

_________________________________________________________________
MSN Hotmail is evolving – check out the new Windows Live Mail http://ideas.live.com



Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92 features 
not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features at 
http://legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp.

Legacy User Group guidelines can be found at: 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp

To find past messages, please go to our searchable archives at: 
http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/

For online technical support, please visit 
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp

To unsubscribe please visit: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to