Hi Stuart,

I wasn't having a go btw, but merely expressing how we see ourselves (or probably the majority at any rate). It is interesting that since the devolution of some powers to Scotland and Wales more people say they are English, Scottish or Welsh rather than British as before.

It's not as straight forward as it may seem at first sight. Great Britain comprises England (including the Scilly Isles), Scotland and Wales only . Scotland has its own parliament, Wales its assemby whilst England is not devolved at all.

It is the United Kingdom of Great Britain and Northern Ireland (as it says on our passports) so strictly speaking Northern Ireland is not part of Great Britain and normally has its own parliament. Nor is the Isle of Man, as they say on their website "Status: An internally self-governing dependent territory of the Crown which is not part of the United Kingdom" their parliament being called Tynwald. The Channel Isles also have the same status as the Isle of Man.

So with all these parliaments going around one can see why the English are feeling a little unhappy about their lack of independence!

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/
*New Blog* - Improve Colour Photos with The GIMP
Includes the family tree for Alan J Grimshaw
http://myweb.tiscali.co.uk/fergys/Grimshaw/