To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2007 12:55 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Sourcing documents and info found on Internet sites and forums

Dennis,
I don't like to have lots of Master Sources, so I am like Jenny, in
that I don't necessarily fill in all the descriptive items, and I tend
to do like Richard, and use the person as the source, or in the
detail.

In addition to others, I have six basic master sources called:
Certificate/Record - Baptism
Certificate/Record - Birth
Certificate/Record - Confirmation
Certificate/Record - Death
Certificate/Record - Divorce
Certificate/Record - Marriage

I might use one of these and in the Source Detail list something like:
Email "KILKENNEY" from Bill Surname to Susan Daily dated Oct 31, 2006
8:35 PM.
I then place the entire body of the email into the Detail Text tab.

or instead, I will use the master source of
Person - William "Bill" Surname
and the detail of
Email "Re: Presset St. Toledo OH - Kilkenny connection" dated Dec 22,
2006 3:57 PM.
and place the email into the Detail Text tab.

For posts, I tend to use the master source of
Internet Web Site
and the detail of
Rootsweb Leitrim Message Board post "Re: Parochial registers of
Cloone, 1820-1927, Diocese of Ardagh" by James Surname dated 11 Feb
2006 7:39 PM GMT (Posted at
http://boards.ancestry.com/mbexec/msg/rw/YWC.2ACI/5298...)
and I copy the entire post into the Detail Text tab.

You might think about using this last option, but changing the master
source from Internet Web Site to more specific ones like Rootsweb.com
Message Board Post.

I have been more specific in my Master Source naming when I downloaded
a GEDCOM from Rootsweb's WorldConnect and exchanged correspondance
with the owner who told me where she obtained her information. In that
case I used the Master Source title of GEDCOM - "McGovernNY" by
Patricia Surname, her name as the author, the title of the GEDCOM as
the title, the type as GEDCOM, and under publication noted the last
update date, and the URL location of the tree.

My philosophy is a more easily managed (i.e. shorter) Master Source List.
Susan Daily