-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of leo
macdonald
Sent: Thursday, February 22, 2007 12:32
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: [LegacyUG] Quoted Names

I am in hopes that this letter will help those of you who are just starting
out with your genealogy program. I have the latest updated version of Legacy
Deluxe with a little over 50,000 names in my program. When I would enter a
person's name into my program, if they had two or more Given Names I was
unsure of how to highlight the persons everyday name, so for a person
called: John Paul Smith who was called by his everyday name, Paul, I decided
to enter it as follows: John 'Paul' Smith. This worked fine for me but then
I had noticed that when I printed out any of the reports it would say that
John married Mary Black, instead of Paul married Mary Black as I would have
liked it to read. This is when I decided to suggest a New Feature to the
programmers, Sherry responded to my request and informed me that I should
have been using the quotation marks for the everyday Given Names: John
"Paul" Smith and that in the Report Options I should go to the format tab
and check off the "use quoted names for narratives" box. When I did this I
tried the reports it worked correctly.
This now left me with a large number of names in my program with ('  ')
around their everyday names. To correct this I preformed a search of Given
Names with ('  ') and replaced Given Names with ("  "). This worked great, a
little to great, I later found out that for some names like D'Arcy they now
showed up as D"Arcy, so I had to go through the given names to correct
these.
This is when I discovered a bug in the Legacy program which I have reported,
when I went to either the Surname of the Given Name list there was now two
lists of names as follows:
Smith, "John" Paul
Smith, "Mary" Jane
Smith, Allen Peter
Smith, John Paul
Smith, John "Paul"
Smith, Mary Beth
Sherry has sent this bug to the programmers and Brian has also advised me
that it has been sent in.
Now I find myself going through my entire name list to put ("  ") around
Given Names like: John Smith and Mary Jones.
My thanks to both Sherry and Brian and I hope that this will help someone
start off on the right path. If you want your reports to use a persons
everyday Gived Name you have to use the Quotaton Marks and you have to check
the box in the Report Options.
Leo

Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92
features not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features
at http://legacyfamilytree.com/DeluxeEdition.asp.