Following this thread, I decided to test NitroPDF with a known problem file for my Acrobat 5 reader (on XP). The file is a Google digitized 19th century transcript of a 1623 Herald's Visitation (Google>Book Search>argument: "visitation of the county of somerset in the year 1623").

The file reads fine on Google, if slowly, but downloaded as a .pdf brought a warning from Acrobat 5 of a loading problem (9). When viewed, many pages were blank. NitroPDF reported no problem and all data was present, but some pages were apparently scanned in color, others either scanned to single bit (i.e. black and white text) or rendered that way by NitroPDF.

Disturbing, a click on the install icon of the downloaded NitroPDF Professional free trial brought an immediate attempt to communicate to the Internet. That was trapped by my firewall (Comodo), and I denied access, after which the install wizard started. Install was rather slow and seemed to do a lot with the Registry. When it finished, my default browser (previously shut down) was invoked with connection to a NitroPDF web page. My Firewall should have trapped and reported that - but did not. After rebooting the following morning, I attempted to view a .pdf file by clicking it and Acrobat 5 was invoked but with the warning that .pdf files could not be viewed from within my browser (Firefox 2) because of a configuration problem, with an offer to correct it, which I permitted.

My impression is that NitroPDF is a product of some really sharp programming and likely unusually capable as a reader. The features don't seem to offer direct solutions to the problems recently discussed with Legacy exports, but the editing tools available plus the ability to export to Microsoft Word format (and presumably re-import) might aggregate to what's wanted. That said, NitroPDF isn't software I want on my computer. I don't trust code that tries to drill through my firewall and certainly don't anything which succeeds in doing so without leaving fingerprints. Nor do I like my browser being reconfigured. And as a final note - NitroPDF does not come with an uninstaller...

kb