  From: frankanedc
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Thursday, May 24, 2007 12:57 PM
  Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] U.S. County Verification

  I would not change the "Of Cherokee" entries just because there was no county
called "Of Cherokee."    The "Of" means that the person lived there at some
point, but whether she was born and/or died there was not known when the entry
was made.    For instance, you might find a person on a census record for a
particular place, but have no source as to where she was born or died.   For
people whose actual place of birth or death is known, leave out the "Of."   But
if you take it out for across the board, it degrades the accuracy of the data.

  There have been discussions before on trying to change the preposition in the
location list.   There doesn't seem to be a good way to do it.

  As to the question mark, it probably means that your mother did not have a
source for that location, but thought it was right.  Some people enter "Prob
Cherokee," when there is some uncertainty about the location.

  I would not let the county verification tool or the location list take over
your effort to have a reasonably accurate record.

  Jill King wrote:
    I have inherited my Mother's genealogy.  I have transferred it from PAF to
Legacy and have been working on cleaning it up.  In the USA County
Verification, I have 188 pgs.  I find that most of the problems are:
      1)She put "Of Cherokee, Iowa" or something similar in the location.
There is no County called "Of Cherokee".  How is the best way to change this?
I notice there is the preposition that you can change in the Master Location
List.  Would I make a location titled Prep: Of and then put the location?  I am
concerned if I do this, when look at the person's data, I won't  know if it
means In Cherokee or Of Cherokee.

      2) Other entries she put "Cherokee?, Iowa"  There is not a County called
"Cherokee?".  I am assuming she meant "Did they come from Cherokee?  Possibly,
but not sure"  Is there a better way to data input that so it won't be on the
County Verification list?

    I appreciate anyone's ideas so I can get this list to a manageable size to
work with.

    Thanks,
    Jill King

    Boardwalk for $500? In 2007? Ha!
    Play Monopoly Here and Now (it's updated for today's economy) at Yahoo!
Games.
    Have you unlocked the real power of Legacy? Legacy 6.0 Deluxe has 92
features not found in the Standard Edition. Learn more about these features at

Boxers are Best
Frances Kane
Washington DC
[EMAIL PROTECTED]