> Since I back up all my pics and censuses to DVD anyhow, and all I will
have

I just learned something recently that is a little disturbing concerning
DVD's.  I am only repeating what I read, I have no way to confirm its
authenticity, but it sounds legitimate.

Since DVD's were engineered originally for showing video, the normal error
checking that is part of a hard disk is not a part of a DVD drive.  Speed is
more important than accuracy, because an error of one bit on a DVD will at
most cause one pixel of one frame to be the wrong color, and the viewer will
never notice that.

Therefore, using DVD's to store data is playing Russian roulette -
eventually you are likely to get burned.  I actually had a situation this
weekend which tended to confirm this.  My brother has a Sony video camera
which records onto mini-DVD's.  In the past, I have used Windows Explorer on
my laptop to copy all the DVD files to a directory on my hard drive, and I
could take the movies we shot over the weekend home with me.

This last weekend, the copy failed because one of the files on the DVD had a
cyclic redundancy check - which basically means an error.  Windows Explorer
refused to copy the file, even though the disc played just fine in the
camera.  I am not even sure what I can do to be able to copy this disc,
except possibly buy some ripping software (don't know if this will work or
not).

Anyway, the short of it is, DVD's can have errors that could cause you to
lose your data.  The article I read on this said that CD's do not have this
same problem as they have the same sort of error correction onboard that a
hard drive does.

It has since occurred to me that DVD-RAM may possibly be an acceptable
alternative, but I have not verified this.