Everyone:

There have been a lot of really good suggestions on how to handle inaccurate
data and how to source it. As a professional genealogist (I research for
others for a fee), this is how I handle the situation. I always keep the all
of the data and the source it came from. However, when better information is
discovered, I replace the inaccurate information with the accurate
information. In my notes I write up a proof summary which entails comparing
the old information with the new and pretty much building a case for why the
new information is more likely to be accurate than the old.

For example; right now I am working for a client and her ancestor's date and
place of birth is part of the scope of research. I have several documents
that offer conflicting places of birth, however they all list her birth date
as the same. For now I accept the date of birth as correct, but I am more
inclined to accept the place of birth on a document that shows her
birthplace in the same county and state as her siblings, and not what was
recorded on the death certificate. When more information about her birth is
obtained, I may change what I believe to be most accurate. By keeping these
proofs, I can follow my reasoning and make adjustments when necessary.

Linda Altman
http://www.southerngenealogy.com
Southern Genealogy uses Legacy Family Tree! This highly acclaimed genealogy
program can be downloaded FREE at
http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Index.asp?mid=6BL9QCi