WILLIAMS MYERS wrote
As to the ancient locations (if or when I run into this problem), I think that I would use the modern location. And then in the notes, give a complete verbal description. You could also flag the modern location with ("see notes").

But that goes against one of the basic "rules" of genealogy that you always record exactly what you find, not what you think it ought to be, what it was at another time or anything else.

Thus, if a document refers to your Great Aunt Lilian as Lillian, Lillian is what you record. If it says she lived in Westmoreland (a county which officially no longer exists) you record Westmoreland and not Cumbria which is a new-fangled county which embraces, amongst others, what used to be Westmoreland.

If you think your "audience" will not understand that you are being historically accurate, then you can put the modern (or "correct" if there is such a thing) interpretation into your Notes. Personally, I wouldn't usually bother because I don't think what is current *now* is relevant.
--
Jenny M Benson