Hi, Richard - thanks for responding!

I looked at my file name list, which shows 829 individuals. When I scanned
it, it looked about right. But I was surprised at the number, because I
remembered the so-called duplicates being a LOT more. I checked the "Not
Duplicates" list and discovered 3081. I may have spent hours just going
around and around punching in "not duplicate" for the same list (!) of
persons, because they are not in the name list twice.

When I looked at the GEDCOM file from which I took the merge, it had a name
list of 607 and a "Not Duplicates" list of 0. When I ran the find the
duplicates on just this file, Intellishare and user id no. duplicate
searches popped up with the same nonsense. So, what do you think is wrong?
Is it something in the original file? (It occurred to me that it might be a
penance meted out by the originator of the data to those who haven't
contributed to it and just downloaded the data (g)!)