Mary Brenzel wrote:
Since when is 'hyphen hyphen space' a standard signature start line? I never heard of such a thing.

Since the beginning of USENET, and email i.e. since the start of the
'Net. Before launching into use of the internet, people should have
taken time to find out what it's really all about. When I first started,
I dug out all the pertinent RFCs (Requests For Comments) that pretty
much define how the Internet was supposed to work. There again, by trade
I am a network programmer and designer, so it was in my interest to do so.

Google for RFC and see what comes up. Wikipedia also has a good write up
on the subject as well, at

<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Signature_block>.

See also this site
<http://mailformat.dan.info/trailers/sigblocks.html>