[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
I just received my copy of Elizabeth Shown Mills' updated book on sourcing. I have a question about sourcing things like census records. In her book Mills shows how to source a census record from microfilm or from an on-line resource. My question is...why does it matter? If I source the town(ship), county, state, page #, and family/household # - isn't that sufficient for me or someone else to located that exact same entry? What is the significance of having to type in the Ancestry, Heritage Quest, microfilm info? I'm probably missing something really obvious here...and this probably will all be taken care of when Legacy 7 comes out with their source templates, but I'm just curious of why my Legacy sources need to include some much extra information (beyond the basics so someone can locate the same census page I'm referring to.

It's all a question of your confidence in the source information. By definition, a film is a facsimile copy of some document. An on-line resource is generally a transcription of something, and therefore open to transcription errors. Of course, if the on-line resource includes digital images of documents, then there's no difference.

--
Regards,
Mike Fry