I didn't say not to do it your way, I just said be careful. Knowing how indefinite films are handled is part of making a fully informed decision. I have seen examples in my FHC of patrons coming in and getting frustrated or angry because that film they ordered years ago as an indefinite is no longer there. How things are sourced is a very personal decision and I would not presume to tell anyone how they "should" do it. I only wanted to be sure readers of this list understood that the extended loans to FHCs are not permanent so they could at least consider the ramifications of using the FHC vs. the FHL as the repository.

Sourcing is not just for our use, but also for those following in our footsteps, perhaps decades later. While it is true that any repository *may* make such changes, some repositories will be more prone to change than others. That is one of the big problems with using a web site as a source, compared to say, the National Archives. My point was that films in a FHC will be more unstable in that regard than the FHL, and that that potential should be kept in mind. One possible way to cover both bases would be to have the FHC as the first part of the entry, but reference the FHL in addition, such as Reno Nevada FHC on loan from the FHL yada yada yada.

Gary Templeman

----- Original Message ----- From: "Dawn Crowley" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Saturday, September 08, 2007 10:24 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Sourcing Question

Any repository may discard, move, or digitize records as they see fit. However, if I want to go look up something again, then I know just where I found it originally. If it's local for me at the present time, then I may just stop by to view it again. Otherwise, I'll verify availability before a trip.

Dawn

I would be careful about using the FHC. The word "indefinite" means just that. It is not a synonym for "permanent". Family History Centers have been instructed to periodically return to the FHL any indefinite films that have not been actively used for a period of time (usually 1 year). There is a better than even chance that researchers down the road will no longer find the film at the same FHC.