I'm a new Legacy user looking for an alternative to FTM which I've used for years. I've had no problem importing my main database and am enjoying the tools that Legacy has for cleaning up my sources and locations. The Legacy tools are far superior to what I've had to work with in FTM. The recent thread on locking the database caught my eye as I have been using the read only file attribute to lock down my FTM databases unless I am actively updating them. There is a certain comfort level in knowing that your database has not changes since the last time you took a backup and locked the database down.

The earlier notes said Legacy would not open a read only database. Not so! Legacy v. 6 will not only open a read only database it resets the read only attribute. This is definitely not standard file handling behavior and could be a real disaster for any user who expects a read only flag to protect their data.

This is the one aspect of Legacy that I'm not real happy with. Normally, my FTM databases stay locked as read only. When I make edits or changes, I unlock the database, make the changes, lock the database, take a dated backup and update a change log of what was done. Since the main database is read only, it is easy to tell from the file date that it hasn't been changed from the last backup. I began this process because I had too many forgotten changes slipping into my databases. It was too easy to make a change while browsing the database and forget to either document it or back it up. Is there any way to do the same sort of file lock down with Legacy?

Thanks,
Jim Rickenbacker




Legacy User Group guidelines: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp Archived messages: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to