Cathy,

Thanks for the response.  I hadn't thought of looking for the modified date.
That is helpful. I wonder if it will catch Master source or location changes
not tied to an individual?

Actually, Access is quite happy to open a read only database, it just warns
you that no updates will be saved. In fact it's quite happy to open a
read-only Legacy database (I just tried it :-)) with the same "no updates
will be saved" message. That's the sort of behavior I'd expect. I guess I'm
mainly just shocked that a commercial Windows program would remove a read
only file attribute without so much as a by-your-leave.

Regards,
Jim

----- Original Message ----- From: "Cathy" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[email protected]>
Sent: Monday, September 17, 2007 8:40 PM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy and Read Only File Attribute


Hi Jim,
You can't lock the database in the sense you mean - I hadn't realised that
Legacy now took a read only database and assumed you wanted to open it so
changed the attribute for you - certainly easier for those who are less
computer literate but annoying if you thought you were looking at a read
only database.

Legacy is based on Microsoft Access and I think this is an Access issue.

Re knowing whether there are any changes since you last backed up - the
back up reminder on exit in Legacy is smart. It only asks if you want to
backup if there are changes. So you can always be sure you've backed up
changes.

Writing a log is another thing. I'm afraid I don't keep a log. However, I
never add data without adding a source immediately. If I want to note
something but haven't the time to enter it properly with source I drop it
in a To Do or in the Research Notes for the person.

If you want to check what the changes were (or at least who was involved)
you can search for modified date equal to todays date - or after date x.
Note you may inadvertently change modified dates if you click the Save
button rather than the Cancel button after looking at something. You may
not be so absent minded.

I also add the date to my database backups.

Cheers,
Cathy




Legacy User Group guidelines: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp Archived messages: http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to