I have been toying around with one file system or another, and I am thinking of
using the File ID under Citation to identify the location of a copy of a source
(say something like..  'File 123 Located in MRIN file 456', or
MRIN456-123..something like that) and have it available for reports.  Say this
citation already exists in different places in your database, but nothing
currently appears in the File ID.  And you want to add the location to each
citation that you know uses this source (which could cover many different
people)..  If you are a lumper, say the source is a Family Bible, and the
citation is someone's obituary pasted to a page that you copied and filed with
the "obituare" (the person who the obituary is about).

It seems that if you are a splitter, The obituary in the family bible is all
one source, so, you could easily add the location to the File ID on the source
record, and when you click save, you have the option to save it where ever that
source exists.. but if you are a lumper, it seems you can not do this with
citations as they are linked to a specific event/individual..

Am I missing something here, or is there an easy way to add/detract from
citations without having to find each place they exist?  I see an option for
find/replace that could include citation File ID, but it doesn't seem complex
enough to add something like this.  I suppose you could tag every one using the
source, but in the case of the family bible, you would have many hits (47 in my
case).  Then you would have to weed through which ones are mentioned in the
obituary...

Any suggestions?

Lumping along with a splitting headache,

Tim Willis

Tonight's top picks. What will you watch tonight? Preview the hottest shows on
Yahoo! TV.
http://tv.yahoo.com/