Carol:

I've tackled the same problems as you describe and have come up with two
different solutions.  For European locations, especially in Germany, I list
the location as it's shown on the source document and for country I use "now
Germany."  In the past I've spent literally weeks trying to figure out
where, say, Aichau was in 1722.  Then I realized it just didn't matter to
that degree.  Although "Germany" didn't exist until much later, it's more
meaningful to today's readers than some of the alternatives.

I dislike the look of what one lister called "spurious commas" and never use
"USA" prior to 1776 (although one could argue that the date should actually
be 1781 or 1783 since *declaring* and actually *winning* are two different
things, but that's beside the point).  For Colonial locations I use the
place name as it was at the time of the event and the format City (if
known), County (if it existed at the time), and the full name of the colony
such as Massachusetts Bay Colony for the country.  (Wikipedia is handy for
finding these.)  If you're doing a lot of early Colonial research, AniMap is
worth it's weight in gold although the maps don't start until 1643.  Here
again, Wikipedia can be a helpful alternative.  (This format will produce
some errors if/when you run an error report, but you can always turn off the
flag for that particular record.)

Hope this answers your questions or at least gives you some ideas to
consider.

Kirsten