June wrote:
If you have many sources for something do you enter them all?

When my children were baptised there is information via personal knowledge
because I was there, information from the register in the church and then
information from the Baptismal I received. Do I enter them all?

June, YES, you enter them all. Why? Source citation allows you to get to the
most interesting part of genealogy -- EVALUATING THE EVIDENCE. Every event
and relationship in a good family history is supported by a citation, and
ideally, more than one citation from sources independently generated at or
near time of the event by someone with little/no vested interest in the
record.

Picture future genealogists (who don't know you) reading your family
history. They will assign much more credibility to your child's baptismal
event (and date and place) if it is supported by all three sources because
any single source, no matter how official or personal, can contain blatant
errors.

IN addition, other researchers may want to check your sources for
themselves, and those sources can lead them to additional records
unavailable to you. If you simply cite "personal knowledge" in your
database, researchers who might take your family history a step further may
never know about your family's connection to a specific church, which -- as
I said -- may yield more information. It is seldom that I say about anything
in my database, "My sources for that are PERFECT -- no need to enter more."

All of this becomes MUCH more important when you have conflicting evidence.
Right now I am working on family of 10 children. Those children's birth,
marriage, and death records cite 3 different maiden names for what appears
to be one mother. The mother's own records cite each of the names as maiden
names. Without scrupulous source citation, I will never sort it all out.

Cafi Cohen
Arroyo Grande, CA