Jess M:

You should spell out / define any acronmyms the first time they occur - yes,
do this in the Note section.  Normally, you would use the full name with the
acronym in parens after it, e.g.,  Sam Houston State University (SHSU) of
Huntsville, AL.

No, Legacy does not keep a list of the acronyms that you have used.

Try these URLs to help find common acronyms:

http://www.rootsweb.com/~rigenweb/abbrev.html

http://www.uq.net.au/~zzmgrinl/abbrev.html

http://www.acronymfinder.com/

Chap

On 10/1/07, Jess M <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

> Hi all! I am new to the group, and have been using Legacy since around
> June of this year.
> I jumped right in and got started by inputting nine generations of
> paternal family info from a hardcopy report my parents had. After that I've
> jumped over to a 307 page, ten generation publication on the maternal side.
>
> I'm curious to know how you all handle abbreviations and variances of same
> across reports, sources, etc.
> I'm also curious to know if Legacy has some corner of it's realm somewhere
> that I've overlooked where one can keep definitions, abbreviation, and
> acronym meanings.
>
> The maternal file I am inputting at present has several abbreviations and
> acronyms that I do not recognize (but have yet to have time to research
> them, I just found them yesterday). This provoked me into wondering how
> future generations and other family members will know what certain things
> are in my files.
> I try to stand by generic genealogical standards - or what little I know
> of them so far.
>
> At present, I've simply been putting a "full" version in the notes section
> of person or event in question - For instance, SHSU would be in description
> of a single event, then in the notes portion I would spell out Sam Houston
> State University of Huntsville. -- However, thirty family members later, I
> realized that if I had one singular place for global acronyms and
> definitions, I wouldn't have so much redundancy.
>
> Jess M
> Proud to be Single Mom to
> CJ-9
> Jo-7