The simplest solution might be to create a document with the abbreviations
and their full versions.  Then make that document a Master Source and
reference it as needed.  Ideally, you would have an electronic copy (that
was included on the CD when the family database was given to someone else)
and a paper copy which would be kept with other family history documents.

Depending on where the family members are located, there could be some
abbreviations that are vague; example: is "UT" the University of Texas or
the University of Tennessee?  If there is a location associated with the
abbreviation (UT at Austin) then it may be self-explanatory.  Otherwise
you may need to add a note to the text in which the abbreviation is used.

John