As is often the case, I am sure that half of us agreed with the post and  the 
other half thought it was rude.  I have been lurking on this LUG since  I 
first purchased Legacy and only a few times have I replied to a posting - (1)  
how to reply in AOL in plain text and (2) how I made up some citation  
templates.  I  have found this LUG to be tremendously helpful.   I have used 
many of 
the tips and programs responders have  recommended.  Even when this LUG gets 
"off track," sometimes it is  interesting and sometimes it involves simply 
clicking to the next posting - not  a big deal.  Let's keep in mind that this 
LUG is 
for questions about Legacy  (that really is pretty wide open); questions 
about our operating  systems should probably be addressed to the appropriate 
User's Group.  
 
More importantly, everyone should spend some time with the Legacy  website, 
go through and read the archives, tips and tricks, watch the previews  of 
training videos, etc.  I purchased the videos and the  book,   watched the 
videos, 
read the book, and played with the  program.  I also return to the book and 
the videos when I have  questions.  I realize that some people don't have the 
funds or the time to  do this and that is certainly one of the reasons why this 
LUG and the  Legacy website is so helpful.  I have a "saved on my computer" 
file  where I keep any posts that I have found especially helpful or that 
answer 
 questions I have or may have (data entry, photos, sourcing, printing,  
etc.).  This way I have the information available when I am off-line, much  
like 
the citation templates I made up for myself when I started entering  sources.  
In a perfect world, we would have the option to download the  Legacy Manual 
(like the new Evidence book by Mills) and then we could all have  the Manual on 
our computers (much easier for those of us who travel) and it  would help 
answer many of our questions.  Since we don't live in a  perfect world, we have 
the 
next best thing - this LUG where several of you are  quite generous with your 
time and talents and provide us with helpful  information and assistance.
 
However, it appears that a very few members of this LUG make no  attempt to 
figure out Legacy and they ask the rest of us to "help them with  their 
homework."  However, they are not trying to do their homework, they  want 
someone 
else to do it for them and they are quite particular about when  (right now) 
and 
how they receive the information.  The best way to learn  something is to try 
to do it yourself - in this regard - Play With  Legacy.  If you are new to the 
program and you are worried about  screwing something up, play with a small 
portion (saved as a separate file) of  your family tree.  Click everywhere and 
see what happens.  I have  noticed that some members of this LUG have 
questions that they have not thought  out or even tried to figure out.  Don't 
get me 
wrong - this is a very few  members.  I certainly don't want to make new users 
feel uncomfortable about  asking questions and/or seeking help. The best way 
to learn is to think about  what you are trying to do and attempt to solve the 
problem.  If you still  don't get it, by all means ask the question and the 
helpful people on  this LUG will respond (I've seen it time and again).  
 
Sorry this is so long, but having read every posting for the past  year, I 
really understand where the responder was coming from in his short  response 
(which I did not consider rude - rather concise).  I think some of  those who 
seek assistance on this LUG need to be a bit more gracious and a  little less 
demanding.  
 
Teresa



************************************** See what's new at http://www.aol.com



Legacy User Group guidelines: 
   http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Etiquette.asp
Archived messages: 
   http://www.mail-archive.com/[email protected]/
Online technical support: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/Help.asp
To unsubscribe: http://www.LegacyFamilyTree.com/LegacyLists.asp


Reply via email to