Tish and all interested in this subject,

As someone who has been around the computer industry for a LONG LONG time, I
would bet that the loose leaf idea was much too cost prohibitive.  It has
been done before.  I probably still have MS DOS 1.25 manuals in binders.

In the late 70's to mid 80's most, if not all the manuals came in binders.

My first computer at home was a Burrows TC3600 (Way before PCs were around).
This was eventually turned into a workbench as the frame and wheels were
very sturdy.  My first "PC" was an Osbourn I.  I also had several kit
computers that I built myself (When you had to solder or wire wrap every
circuit for yourself)

As for the publishers of software just printing the changes for those who
have V6 and just the changes for thos who have V5 and just the changes for
those who have V4, etc... would require hiring more people and would
obviously raise the cost of the manuals.  It would probably cost more for
the portion that changed than for the whole new version.

Also, if you were to print updates with every minor version update, it would
be WAY too much work.  The help files in Legacy are updated much more
frequently and is easily searchable.  This is a much easier and more cost
effective medium for these minor updates.  Once Legacy does a Major code
update (version 5, version 6, version 7, etc...) they only have one version
of the manual and it isn't updated.*

You could always take your manual to a print show with a hydralic cutter and
have the binding removed and holes drilled in the margin and put it in a
binder for yourself.  Alternatively, you could also purchase the manual in
PDF format and print 3 hole paper and put in a binder.  You can also add
lined paper for notes.

* Ken, Jim, Sherry, or Brian can confirm or correct this statement.

Glen Ballard