> Valerie.
> Assuming that your laptop is not equipped to go onto the internet
> perhaps having it handy while you are on the net would be helpful.

This does assume that you have space for more than one display + keyboard
- not always the case when you're surrounded by paper or sitting in front
of a microfilm reader - the *laptop* part of the name becomes a necessity
at most of the microfilm reader stations I've seen :-(  The pages that
don't print legibly in a couple of attempts can be transcribed to the
laptop and emailed to yourself as a backup (if the location provides
internet access - see below).

> One of the nice things about laptops is that they are so portable and
> some of them even have batteries and can run with always being
> plugged in...assuming that you aren't expecting them to run 24 /7.
>  From the dialogue you've been carrying on I am betting that if you
> had it handy while following up on the tips generated by this group
> that you would likely get the answers you seek in about half the
> time...which would give you even more time to come up with questions
> that leave the rest of us scratching our heads...wondering where you
> dream them up. I do have to say though that they force the rest
> of  to stop short and think about just what we are doing. Keep 'em coming.

Valerie has gotten people to think about *how* they do what they do - it's
so much easier to *do* something than to explain it to someone else (been
there; done that - corporate technical trainer for several years).

> The other idea would be to equip your laptop to go onto the internet
> so you could have everything all on one computer...They have these
> things called modems and wifi cards....and some even have gps.!

Having a network card in the laptop is most convenient when researching at
a library that provides internet access to their patrons/visitors.  In the
past six months, I've found wireless access in one public library (Cobb
County, Georgia, card holders only) and wireless + wired access in another
(Memphis, Tennessee, visitors also allowed).

> I keep dreaming about how I might record all that wonderful info in
> Legacy if only I had a suitably equipped laptop. Oh to dream....
>   Kathy

Older laptops (Pentium II/III) can be found at computer shows and in yard
sales for $30-$50US (and up).  The biggest downside to in-your-lap
operation is that the battery needs to be replaced every 2-3 years (Ebay
prices start about $60US delivered - with a new battery, I get 3 to 3.5
hours of unplugged operation).  If you know someone who works at a company
that replaces computers every few years, you *might* find a deal there (a
typical price is the current average Ebay price of that model).  The
laptop I'm using (pentium 4 equivalent) is 5 years old (ancient by current
standards), but is adequate for what I do: two lines in Legacy, one about
4000 names, the other about 6000 names.

John