Hi Michele,

1) Make a normal backup of your family file and call it <family filename before merge date> eg Smith before merge 20071119 This is so you can play with the merge quite happily knowing that you can restore this file and get back to exactly where you were before you started playing.

BTW To learn features it's a good idea to have a test file. You can use the Sample file but I find it easier to have one that I'm more familiar with. My test file began with a section of my tree that I'm familiar with but with major surnames changed so that it's obvious I'm dealing with my test file. eg I've changed my maiden surname of Clark to Scotland because they emigrated from Scotland.

2) Don't bother about the options that are first presented until you're more familiar with merging. Just use the defaults and click Continue

3) On the merge screen when two people are presented, you always end by merging the right person into the left person. That is the resulting person will have the RIN of the current person on the left. If this happens currently to be the higher RIN, you may wish to swap the people over. Otherwise swap the person with the best or most information to the left.

3) You choose which bits of information are kept, which bits are discarded or saved in a different place. If you have different birth dates or places, you click the radio button of the one you want to make the birth date and place. Then you have the option to ignore the other date or make it an Alt Birth event or put it in General Notes. You access these options by clicking the black square next to the label after you've put the radio button next to the one you want to be the main choice.

On the Event Tab, you have the option of copying a highlighted event for the right person to the left person. You can also edit events. On the Notes Tab, you can edit notes or add the notes from the right person to the notes of the left person (append) or replace the notes on the left with the notes on the right. Remember in the end the right person is merged to the left.

Once you've looked at all the information and made your choices, you click the merge right into left person button.
and on to the next person.

Hope that helps but really the only thing that clarifies is trying it out. You make that try out stress free by having good backups so it doesn't matter how many mistakes you make while you're learning how it works.

Cathy