Arnold,

In this case I would not have thought so, since the ship was in port (even if
not docked). I would presume that the Death Certificate would not have given
"At Sea" as the place?

At the time Manchester (England) was a thriving inland port my grandfather
drowned there whilst working on a ship. His place of death on the certificate
was given as "Trafford" (the area in which the dock was). Admittedly this is
not quite the same as New York but had it been Liverpool, England  I would be
very surprised if the certificate said anything other than "Liverpool"

I too use "At Sea" for relatives who died during the wars in such circumstances.

For Genealogy, Software and Social visit:
http://www.fergys.co.uk
*Over 650 Surnames from 11 Countries*
View the Grimshaw Family Tree at:
http://www.fergys.co.uk/Grimshaw/
For The Fergusons of N.W. England See:

> Date: Sun, 25 Nov 2007 07:27:10 -0600
> From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
> Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Died in ?
> To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
>
> Hi Jack,
> I like your "At Sea" example.
> I have someone in my database who died at the very end of a
> cruise in New York City harbor. (She did not drown.) I'm having
> difficulty with place, so would "At Sea" work here?
> Thanks.
> Arnold
>

> At 06:43 AM 11/25/2007, you wrote:
>>Hi Lisa
>>I always end the location of people who drowned with "At Sea" so that I can
>>find them all more easily from the master location list.
>>One example is my father's brother and I used the location
>>Hofuku Maru, Subic Bay, Philippines, At Sea
>>(Hofuku Maru was the ship on which he was being transported from Singapore
>>to Japan)
>>
>>But another example was : HMS Glorious (Scapa Flow Orkney), At Sea - so I
>>think I need to edit them to be a bit more consistent!
>>
>>Jack

Get free emoticon packs and customisation from Windows Live.
http://www.pimpmylive.co.uk

Give Legacy as a Gift for 25% Off. Visit http://tinyurl.com/2b49et