Glen,

It does but I had renamed the Legacy directory before I tired this in an attempt to simulate a library computer. Still, it may not have been a perfect simulation so it would be best if someone did a field test.

Regards,
Bob

On Dec 1, 2007, at 7:24 PM, GBallard wrote:

Bob,

Does the computer with the guest account have Legacy already installed
locally?

Glen Ballard

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of Bob Withers
Sent: Saturday, December 01, 2007 8:38 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy on a flash drive

Hi Charlotte,

First off let me say that I generally don''t use a flash drive or portable hard drive for this. When I go to the library I usually take a laptop with
me and run Legacy on it.

While this doesn't have anything to do with Legacy a great place to learn
about portable applications is:
http://portableapps.com/

So, as far as using Legacy on a portable drive: I don't know that you need
anything.  As a test I copied my entire Legacy directory to a
flash drive.   Mine was about 400MB but with flash drives as large as
8GB for under $100 this shouldn't be a huge issue.  I then took the
drive to a Windows machine that was logged in with a guest account.
Using Windows Explorer I navigated to the Legacy.exe file on the flash drive and double clicked. I had to open the Customize->Locations tab and correct all the pathnames there for the drive letter assigned to the flash drive. I also used the File->Open Family File menu to insure I had the file from the
flash drive loaded.

After that everything seemed to work normally although, to be honest, I didn't do extensive testing. Perhaps there are some other members out there
that can chime in with their experiences using Legacy with a portable
device.

Regards,
Bob