Here is my problem with a file numbers system, if you need all the documents for one person or for a married couple, it will take you quite a bit of time to look up all the numbers you need in Legacy and then go to your filing system to pull all the documents and you still might miss one or two. If I need all the documentation I need on a particular individual or a married couple everything is in one place.

HOWEVER, whatever way you do it Legacy meshes right in. If you like to file by a file number then Ancestry will keep track of those numbers for you. If you keep everything in a single file for each person/couple then ancestry certainly won't work against you. You can just leave the file number blank or use it for something else (maybe if you have a large library of books, manuscripts, Bible transcripts etc you could use the file number to come up with a library call system for your bookcases)

michele