There are two ways to add a search engine.

1. You have cgi-bin access on the server and can install perl or php
scripts.  Example:
http://www.thefreecountry.com/perlscripts/searchengines.shtml

2. You can't install a search engine, so you need a hosted search service.
 Example: http://www.picosearch.com/rates.html

There is some free software for installation on the server.  The "free"
hosted search capability usually has ads on the results page.  Hosted
search without ads starts about $60/year.

John