Although your question is within the etiquette for this UG,
there is a more specific group that might be helpful.

You might be interested in joining this yahoo group:

          "Description

The Group is a self-help group for genealogists wishing to create and improve their websites which are based on the Legacy genealogical software. In particular its aim is to give support to those with no knowledge of website construction.

It is also anticipated that the group will assist those with more experience in overcoming the programming questions/problems relating to Legacy which we
   all meet and try to overcome on a regular basis."

Perhaps a member of that group has suggestions for you.

Dawn

Donald DeZarn wrote:

All,

I've recently updated my personal website using Legacy.

I'm now interested in adding a "search engine" feature to the opening page
(Index.html).

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Earlier today, I added the "Google Custom Search" to the opening Index.html
page. It works, but it's not as robust and useful as I'd hoped.

If you like, you can check it out at:
http://webpages.charter.net/ddezarn/Index.html

Donald DeZarn