IMHO, the first thing you need to do is print the
whole Name list in alpha order. This should find most
of the male duplicates, females with spouse names are
harder to find. Unless you are in Medieval time frame,
where people had multiple names for what they owned.
On the print out, make notes on who needs to be
1. definitely merged
2. check the merge further
3. the ones that are definitely not (ie. 2 sisters
Mary born 2 years apart) do look at them side by side,
and set the marker to NEVER merge them.
Then when you are POSITIVE, run the merge using what
you know and cross off on your same paper which ones
you have done.
Rich in LA CA