Those who have called new.familysearch.org a beta site are using the term
imprecisely. Beta, as applied to software, generally means an early version in
testing by a limited number of users looking for bugs, before it is released
for general distribution.

For the nFS site, the software has gone through a few internal and external
beta cycles, with the first external beta beginning around February 2006 if I
recall correctly. It has taken months to just get to this point.

The site is now released for full use, but ONLY IN SELECTED AREAS based on
temple district, and CURRENTLY only for LDS members (and apparently a few
others). That makes it *similar* to a beta in that the access is restricted to
selected users. It is however a "production" release that is in a "phased
roll-out". The next version of the software that the site uses is currently in
internal beta testing, at the same time the existing version is being actively
used.

Please understand that it is not a *genealogy* site per se. As I said before.
its *primary* purpose is for processing of LDS Temple ordinances. As such it is
not unreasonable to start off restricted to Church members.  If other churches
for example had some computerized system where parents could sign themselves or
their children up for various church ordinances, you would not expect them to
allow someone not of their faith access to every bit of information. PLEASE be
patient, as it has been repeatedly stated that access to non-LDS members to the
genealogical information will happen at some time in the future. It will also
be updated periodically to add more functionality, such as sources and notes
(very limited at this time).

Finally, for those who are seeking a site where the information can be obtained
by GEDCOM, understand that that kind of function may never be a part of this
site. or will only be available a long way in the future. The way the site
works is vastly different than other web sites, or even your Legacy or other
genealogy databases, where each person on the pedigree is unique. At nFS, each
name seen on the screen is actually a folder containing anywhere from one to
sometimes hundreds of records that have been "combined" to use their
terminology. Only one name is normally displayed. All of the records in the
folder are essentially duplicates, and may contain varying or conflicting
information. For each name on the tree, any attempt to generate a GEDCOM would
mean the software would somehow have to decide which of the multiple records
from each folder to include in the GEDCOM. What I believe will happen is that
programs such as Legacy will interface with nFS one name at a time and allow o
ne to select which bits of data to merge into their database.

Now, can we PLEASE get back to Legacy issues and let the nFS process unfold
fully rather than getting all worked up with speculation and assumptions.

Gary Templeman