Getting a younger generation interested is a concern to all of us I'm
sure. I know it is for me. We don't want 30, 40, 50, 60 years worth of
work tossed in a landfill when we're gone. And I know of a couple cases
where that's exactly what happened as no one in the family had any
interest in all that junk! It's a delicate subject to broach with an
adult child, or grandchildren.

In my case my daughter is somewhat interested in the old photos,
documents I've collected as it fits into her passion of scrap booking. My
9 year old granddaughter on the other hand has taken interest in the nuts
and bolts of the people involved as it relates to history she studies in
her grade school classes. i.e. great-great so-and-so was living when
such-and-such happened, etc. And, as a matter of fact she and I are
attending an LDS Local Mini one day conference this weekend that she
actually expressed a desire to go to and see what I learn at them.
(Couldn't have warmed papaw's heart any more than that). She and her
mother have visited cemeteries with me looking for burial sites of family
members to photograph as well.

She has already entered her own family's information into a copy of
Legacy on her computer to see how it's done and has done a little
presentation on her family for a class project.

I think all of us should encourage, and welcome, some kind of format
geared to the 20 somethings, teens and even preteens...whether that
format be a LUG type thing, a blog or something else. If something of
this nature already exists that someone knows about please inform the
rest of us that we might encourage our following generations to check it
out to foster their budding interest in genealogy without snuffing it out
before it becomes a passion with them as it has become with all of us!

gc