Now, we merely enter our best guess on the computer and we are pretty much there with the *right* person and the *right* census page.

IMHO, I think we should move with the changing times and accept that when we source where we found Milstead, Norman L, for example, that our source should be not much more than: 1920 United States Federal Census, Mississippi, Yalobusha, Water Valley, District 124, 5 Jan 1920, Dwelling 57, Family 61, and note that he appears in the index as Norman T Milsted.

Arnold

At 12:27 PM 3/3/2008, you wrote:
Elizabeth:

You raise an excellent point, and there's not even a world catastrophe
required.  Some years ago the Archives of Ontario (Canada) renumbered
many--if not all--of their records for a computer-related reason.  What if
the FHC or the NARA someday needed to do the same thing?  I agree that the
simple source citations are by far the best.  Data taken from the census
page itself would never be changed and could be located again via any
repository.

Kirsten

-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] Behalf Of Hope
Bagot Bees
Sent: Monday, March 03, 2008 2:18 AM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Census Formats? Totally confused!!

Ah - well that is one major reason why I prefer to go back to giving a
simple source!
To my way of thinking, your first example is by far the best - it is the
original designation for the English census records - not as they have
been filmed, not as they have been copied but as they are so labelled in
the original format.

As such, they can be accessed by anyone in the future, even after a
major internet crisis - electrical burnout - whatever world catastrophe!!

Elizabeth