The "default folders" feature appears to be a future enhancement.  I set
the default folders
Help & Options -> General -> Folder Locations
and the program still looks for the genealogy file in the last used folder
(typially Charting when you have saved a chart).

Since this is "preview" software, I would classify this as a "not yet"
item that should have been part of the initial release.

John