This is a feature I use all the time to note "other" relationships:

>From the Family View screen, click on Edit, then Children's Settings.
Highlight the child's name at the top and look at the bottom of the
screen.  Under Child Status you can use the standard terms or add
whatever term you wish for the child.  And it can apply to either or
both parents.  This term shows up on the Family Group Record, and
at least the one Descendant Book that I often use. I haven't checked
in other reports, but presumably it would show up the same in all.

Relationship possibilities include:  Adopted, Step (-child, -daughter,
or -son), Foster, Challenged, Disproved, Biological, Guardian, etc.
ad infinitum.

In the case you noted I'd assume they were foster children, but you
could also note them as Niece or Nephew.

Kent Myrick

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Kirsten Bowman
  To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
  Sent: Saturday, March 29, 2008 8:56 PM
  Subject: RE: [LegacyUG] Blended Family?

  Gene:

  You're correct about the term, of course.  "Stepchild" was the word used in
  the original documents but in today's terminology they would probably be
  foster children.  (I don't think there was any actual adoption.)  Changing
  the children's settings doesn't appear to have any effect on the Descendant
  Book Report, though, and probably wouldn't be reflected in my GEDCOM posted
  at RootsWeb--which is what I'm really after--except perhaps in Notes or
  Events (which I don't post).

  Is it hopeless then?

  Kirsten