I respectfully disagree; as Legacy uses some formats and not others and has
size limitations I think it is a viable question for the group.

.tif - I use it as my original. When downloading or receiving any picture I
immediately save it as .tif. It is a large file but it will not loose detail
no matter what changes (straightening, cropping etc.) that you may do. This
original is what I go back to if I mess something up.

.gif- I use it primarily for copies of Census sheets. It will make a smaller
detail picture than .tif but best used for graphics like census sheets or
pages in books.

.png - Another good format for an original but I have just started using it.
It does not loose detail when changed.

.jpg - Makes the smallest file but looses detail every time you change
something and then save it. Created and used primarily for the internet.

All of the above plus some others legacy recognizes and will print as a
picture in reports.

.PDF - Created by Adobe as a container to put anything (pictures, documents,
combinations of each and even whole books. I have downloaded huge .pdf files
that contain readable 400+ page books with pictures. With the free Adobe
Reader it can be read on many different types of computers (Mac, Microsoft.
Etc.). It cannot be changed by anything but the full Adobe Acrobat and only
when unlocked. Legacy does not currently recognize .pdf files. You can only
attach them as a sound file. Why you would want to do this I do not know.

>From what I understand legacy does not like files over 200 KB. When I
receive a large picture that I want to print on a Legacy report I :
1. Save the original to .tif and file it away.
2. Make a copy in .tif format, make changes as needed and then make it as
small as possible with the detail I need.
3. When finished I save it to .jpg in a special legacy picture folder that
is what I attach to Legacy. In reports Legacy can only print a picture about
the size of a large postage stamp.

Just how I do it.