-----Original Message-----
From: [EMAIL PROTECTED]
[mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED] On Behalf Of JLB
Sent: Sunday, April 06, 2008 1:11 PM
To: LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Secondary Sources

I think in theory what you're suggesting is true but it's tricky because it would depend exactly what. I can't think of any example where I've put the entire text of a Master Source into Master Source Text. I might put a shorter listing of what it includes. That's not often necessary. I'll put something under Comments if I've got something to say. I usually put Repository (ie. where it can be found again). I like pictures so if I have one I'll link it in.

For example if it's a newspaper obit, the Master Source is the name of the newspaper. I wouldn't quote the entire newspaper in Master Source Text but I would copy the obit itself into Source Detail for every person it applies to, as well as it being in Death Notes for the person whose obit it is. Other people usually get mentioned in obits so I cite it as a source for other people's names and marriages, and under Comments I'll put the relationship to the person whose obit it is. In reports it depends what your options are. Besides all the usual there's a Source Citation Report where you can get most everything source-wise printed out together, but I would say that's more for sharing with other genealogists who would want all the details, not your run-of-the-mill sharing with relatives who have a more casual interest in their history.

JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

Claire Spinelli wrote:
I get it.  You meant that you could transcribe the entire text into the
Master Source Text and then select a small section of that into the Source
Detail Text. Good idea! Copy/paste makes it a simple process. In reports,
would you include the Master Source text, or just the Source Detail text?