JLB wrote
I think in the case of a letter as you mention, if that was a Master Source I would quote the entire thing in Master Source Text, then I would take a relevant part of it for the Source Detail Text.

You are, of course, free to do whatever you choose, but I think it worth mentioning that Legacy includes the wording "Text (copy of description contained within the source) (optional)."

As I tend to try and use the various Legacy fields (if I use them at all) for the purpose for which they are intended, I have Master Source Text which describes the contents of a website or the content/purpose of a book, etc.

For me, any quoting of actual sources goes in Source Detail Text, where Legacy says "Enter the actual source text) (optional).

I stress I am not saying anyone must do it this way, just saying that's what I think Legacy intended and what I choose to do.

Someone in another post mentioned Copyright. I don't think this is an issue when one is quoting a tiny proportion of a work and giving full attribution.
--
Jenny M Benson