How do you think a charting program should display Names in Charts when entered in Legacy
Given: Givename "Nickname" Middlename
Surname: Surname

a) Givename "Nickname" Middlename Surname
b) Givename Middlename Surname
c) "Nickname" Surname
d) option to select from above
e) Something else

I had been entering Nicknames myself [[Nickname]] so I might be able to suppress it when I wish, in the given name field with [[ ]] vs AKA. Now I'm wondering if maybe ""Nickname" is a better way to go.

I guess for me the key would be whats best when considering doing reports and charts in the future.

john

Cathy wrote:
Hi Ron,
You can't change the sentence wording for AKAs. But note you can enter Nicknames as Quoted Names and have them used in narratives. See the Help file and make sure you check the options on the Format tab in Reports so that the quoted name is picked up as the First Name.

This may solve your dilemma.

I don't use AKAs much but use Quoted Names extensively as most of my mother's family went by a name other than their first name.
So, for example, my mother is entered
Edith Beryl Joyce "Joyce", her sister Winifred Kate "Freda", her brother Robert Walter Osment "Roy", etc

If I'd put Joyce in as AKA the sentence is a nonsense. Joyce wasn't another name for her. It was the name she was known by all her life.

Cheers,
Cathy