John,

I tried getting Legacy to run under WINE about 6 months ago (Using CentOS 5 as the op sys). I took it along to our local Linux User Group and spent a couple of hours on it one evening with a couple of guys who are experts on Linux. I can't remember what the exact problem was but we failed and abandoned the idea.

Paul
----- Original Message ----- From: "John Carter" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <LegacyUserGroup@legacyfamilytree.com>
Sent: Thursday, May 01, 2008 7:10 AM
Subject: Re: [LegacyUG] Legacy and Linux

Legacy requires Windows or a very good emulator.

It *might* be possible to run Legacy on a Linux box IF you can get a
version of WINE for the Linux box and IF Legacy works OK under WINE (I
don't know because I haven't tried it). Unless someone can verify that
this configuration will work, the Linux box might not be a good choice.

If you want to use Linux directly, there are genealogy programs available
and you can exchange data with Legacy via GEDCOM files - but not with the
integration of Pocket Genealogist.

John

I'm considering purchasing a small portable computer running Linux (Asus).
Does anyone have experience running Legacy with Linux. Considering I've
never used Linux and am not familiar with it - what probelms should I
expect. My main purpose for purchasing this computer is it's small size
(about 10" screen) but larger than my iPAQ running pocket genealogist.

Thanx for all input on or off list.

John