You can store images on whatever drive you want to. As long as it's plugged into your computer the images will link up to where you want them same as if they were on your C-drive. I would suggest having a second copy though, not just counting on one external hard-drive. One other suggestion. If you're plugging into a laptop, you may have to plug directly, not through a hub, in order to have enough power. Can your laptop handle this? To your second question: Unless you're running specifically portable applications, you have to have your programs installed on your C-drive. --
JL
JLog - simple computer technology for genealogists
http://www3.telus.net/Jgen/jlog.html

DLevenick wrote:
Yesterday, in the midst of scanning multi-page tiff images I drew the
dreaded message -- "you are running out of hard disk space."  Obviously, I
have to do something for my image files. I plan to buy a portable hard disk
to hold scanned images to use with my laptop. My question is. . . if I want
to link these files to my Legacy individuals, should I put my Legacy files
on the portable drive as well? Or, will it slow things down too much? Would
I run the application itself from the portable, too; or, leave the app on my
main C Drive, and just put the data on the portable?

I should say that I am using these images with a database program, and also
with Clooz.

My current Legacy file is tiny, still in its infancy, and I plan to migrate
to Version 7 as soon as possible.

Any comments gratefully accepted, Denise